Shards of Destiny
here are many different systems of government scattered throughout Vālyth. Here is a listing of different types of government you are likely to encounter and what they mean. Sometimes you will find areas that use a combination of one or more types.
- Autocracy – a form of government in which one person has uncontrolled or unlimited authority over others; the government or power of an absolute monarch.
- Anarchy – is the absence of government.
- Democracy – a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
- Despotism – a form of government were a single individual holds supreme power but considers all people under his rule to be slaves.
- Dictatorship – a form of government in which absolute power is exercised by a single individual. Rising to power under this system is often resolved by the strongest sword.
- Mageocracy – a form of government in which a single or group of powerful wizards or sorcerers rule the masses through fear of magic.
- Monarchy – a form of government in which supreme authority is vested in a single and usually hereditary figure, such as a king, and whose powers can vary from those of an absolute despot to those of a figurehead.
- Oligarchy – a form of government in which all power is vested in a few persons or in a dominant class or clique; government by the few.
- Plutocracy – a form of government ruled by the wealthy.
- Theocracy – is a form of government ruled by a religious leader.